Saturday, March 14, 2009

I Watched The Watchmen

Today I took my family to watch The Watchmen movie featuring superhero characters Rorshach, The Comedian, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre II, Nite Owl II & Ozymandias. That was a bad idea. On the one hand, I was mentally stimulated by The Watchmen because it was non-stop action, great stunts & wonderful computer graphics work, props etc. However, if I had known that there was so much questionable content--excessive profanity, near rapes, serial killing superheroes, a superhero who thought he was god, more sex, nude superheroes (the ever present nakedness of the blue guy, Dr. Manhattan really creeped me out)--I would not have taken my children--I would have just gone with my wife. But then again, had she known the content of the film prior to viewing, she would not have chosen such a dark film.

Every one of the characters was morally conflicted and ethically challenged, but none more so than billionaire crimefighter, Ozymandias determined to rule the world from behind the scenes in the name of everlasting peace. He had no qualms about offing his former teammates if they got in the way of his plans of ensuring world wide peace. At least the most courageous and watchable of the Watchmen were Silk Spectre II and Nite Owl II whose romance dominated the screen following Silk Spectre II's romantic breakup with Dr. Manhattan. They were spurred to action by Rorshach, a troubled figure who at first seemed to be the only one interested in fighting for what he believed in, serial killer though he were. I figured the movie would be more like the X-Men films which were more PG-13 and family friendly.
Boy was I wrong! This group of action figures were preceded by The Minutemen, the previous generation of heroes who collectively managed to look like the lamest group of heroes ever assembled.


I'm not a movie critic, so I'm not really going to dissect the plot and subplots as if someone were paying me to do it. As a man who likes to see things blow up and smiley face buttons, I wasn't too concerned that there were multiple story lines to follow, although the numerous superhero flashbacks left more questions than they answered. As for the time length, I was overjoyed that I got that much movie for the money. I like to go to the theatre and not feel like I just got robbed, and certainly sitting in the theater for over 2 hours made me feel like I had watched two movies worth of entertainment. All in all, I would advice movie buffs to go and watch the movie if you must, but definitely don't take your parents or your children.

No comments: