Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Why This Blogger Will Not Be Shopping on Black Friday

Happy Thanksgiving, and a restful and joyous holiday season to the readers of The Great Blog of Kéto! I do not plan on shopping this Friday after Thanksgiving. I feel that the holidays have become so over-commercialized that the joy has been taken out of the true meaning of America's religious and traditional holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc even though according to almanacs and historical records Jesus was not born on December 25. (Being that Palestine is extremely cold in the Winter months, shepherds were NOT caring for sheep in the fields in December (Luke 2:8-12). They only do that from March-October when the weather is bearable.) Last week, my monthly community forum, Wide aWoke Wednesday's hosted a debate, "Holidays, Holy Days & Pagan Days" which discussed the origins and history of major US holidays such as Halloween, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.

Now there is nothing wrong with shopping on "Black Friday", as it is called, especially as there are quite a few bargains on holiday staples such as clothing, electronics, toys & games, appliances, and more. However, it is the spirit of so many people participating in these shopping experiences that concerns me. I remember several times in the last few years watching news footage of grown adults camping out in front of the major department stores in Philadelphia, Michigan, and other places before dawn and then trampling each other like wild animals once the doors open (See video below).

My wife and I approach holiday shopping differently than many families because we believe that we should show love and appreciation for our loved ones year-around, not just at Christmas time. We also believe in volunteering with homeless feeding programs, food and clothing drives, and more through community organizations and our church to those who cannot give back in return. We believe that as Jesus stated when we do something for the least person who cannot pay us back (Matthew 25:33-40), God honors our giving. Now I'm not saying that YOU shouldn't go shopping and bargain hunting on Black Friday. I'm just saying that we all need to remember the original purpose of Thanksgiving which was to offer thanks to God for our prosperity and of Christmas which was to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ who came to the Earth to give. Everyone talks about "remembering the reason for the season," but few people actually do remember why we celebrate these occasions.

The Son of Man will put the sheep (good people) on his right and the goats (bad people) on his left. "Then the king will say to those good people on his right, 'Come. My Father has given you great blessings. Come and get the kingdom God promised you. That kingdom has been prepared for you since the world was made. You can have this kingdom, because I was hungry and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me something to drink. I was alone and away from home, and you invited me into your home. I was without clothes, and you gave me something to wear. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you came to visit me.' "Then the good people will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and give you food? When did we see you thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you alone and away from home and invite you into our home? When did we see you without clothes and give you something to wear? When did we see you sick or in prison and care for you?' "Then the king will answer, 'I tell you the truth. Anything you did for any of my people here, you also did for me.' "Then the king will say to those bad people on his left, 'Go away from me. God has already decided that you will be punished. Go into the fire that burns forever. That fire was prepared for the devil and his angels. You must go away, because I was hungry, and you gave me nothing to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me nothing to drink. I was alone and away from home, and you did not invite me into your home. I was without clothes, and you gave me nothing to wear. I was sick and in prison, and you did not care for me.' "Then those people will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty? When did we see you alone and away from home? Or when did we see you without clothes or sick or in prison? When did we see these things and not help you?' "Then the king will answer, 'I tell you the truth. Anything you refused to do for any of my people here, you refused to do for me.'"Then those bad people will go away. They will have punishment forever. But the good people will go and have life forever. (Easy to Read Version)"

Wal-Mart Shoppers in Grand Rapids, Michigan Trampled & Injured on Black Friday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog.
Carlos
Portugal