Friday, April 3, 2009

An Adopted Son's Perspective

Today, Roland Martin, a regular political commentator and contributor to CNN, Tom Joyner Morning Show, and more. posed a simple question for his Facebook friends of whom I am one: "And did you see that Madonna was denied in her attempt to adopt another Malawi child? Was that decision good or bad?". Below I have excerpted my reply to him on this subject which is close to my heart.

I was adopted by an American missionary at age 9 who gave me a new lease on life, otherwise I wouldn't be here. There are some who might think that Madonna, Angelina, and others do foreign adoptions as great public relations moves. That may be true or not (only God knows our true intentions). All I know is that a child in need doesn't ask for an essay on why you're adopting them. They simply want to know if you will love them or not. When I was being adopted one of the questions the state of Arkansas asked my adoptive mother was whether she would have my best interests at heart. To me one of the demonstrations of true love is if a person has no obligation to love you, will they still show you the same love they would demonstrate to their biological children?

No comments: